4 years ago I published a delicious Mixed Seed Bread recipe.
Since then I baked it countless times. Over time made a few modifications. Today I'd like to share with you guys its latest version.
I currently leave out the white flour. It wasn't much anyway.
I use organic whole wheat flour and whole wheat rye flour. Being stone ground, they are higher in nutrients and fiber, thus much better choices for your health.
A small note.. According to Mayo Clinic as well as many health experts, "Multi-grain" and "whole grain" are not interchangeable terms. Whole grain means that all parts of the grain kernel — the bran, germ and endosperm — are used. In contrast, multi-grain means that a food contains more than one type of grain, although none of them may necessarily be whole grains. The same goes for other variations, such as the term "seven grain".
Another modification to the recipe is that I've increased the length of leavening time so I've reduced the amount of the yeast.
400 g water
60 g grape molasses
5 g fresh yeast
350 g stone ground whole wheat flour
200 g stone ground whole wheat rye flour
12 g salt
20 g water at room temperature
100 g sunflower seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds*
50 g sesame seeds
50 g poppy seeds
* Do not mistake cumin seeds in the recipe with ground cumin. You can replace cumin seeds with caraway seeds if you wish.
- Put 400 g water in TM Bowl and warm for 1 minute at 37 ºC on Speed 1.
- Add molasses and yeast, mix for 10 seconds on Speed 4.
- Add flours and salt. Knead for 3 minutes. (I sift in flours as this aerates the flour. I add the bran remained in the sifter back with flour).
- Add 20 g water at room temperature, sunflower, cumin, sesame and poppy seeds. Knead for 40-60 seconds.
- Give it a ball shape and transfer into an oiled large bowl.
- Cover with plastic film, let it rest for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Place it in the fridge for 24 hours.
- The day after remove it from the fridge and let it rise for 2 - 3 hours at room temperature.
- Fold dough into four.
- Sprinkle very little flour onto working surface. Give dough a loaf shape.
- Press in the center with the palm of your hand as in the picture.
- Fold and roll into a loaf.
- Transfer it onto an oven tray with seam side down. Cover with a damp cloth and let it rise for other 60 - 90 minutes.
- Gently make diagonal cuts on the top with a sharp knife.
- Bake in preheated oven at 220ºC for 35 minutes.
- After removing from the oven let it cool on the wire racks for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- Once cooled cut into slices and serve.
A very useful tip...
After sliced, I freeze all leftover bread. This way I always have some whole wheat bread ready to serve.
When I need bread I simply warm the right amount in the oven before I serve. It is so delicious also when toasted.