25.01.2012

Mixed Seed Bread

TÜRKÇE İÇİN TIKLAYIN
PER ITALIANO
 

We really enjoyed this bread of which I got the recipe from a Turkish food magazine. I made some modifications on it as usual.

On a day that Stefano and I didn't have the time to have a proper lunch at home I needed to make something like sandwiches. I wanted to prepare something I hadn't tried yet so I made this one. Even if its round shape was not very suitable to make sandwiches, I tried to slice it asssording to my needs.

When baked, I took a picture of it in front of my recently planted herbs. I know, I didn't pick the best period of time to plant my herbs as we are in the middle of the winter. I am using sage and rosemary quite often. Since I was on to it, I decided, why not, to plant also some thyme. I won't have to steal herbs from the neighbours' anymore ;) Rather than getting from the others or buying, my lazziness to go out every time I needed a couple of sprigs or leaves led me to do so. I have them all ready in front of my kitchen window now. :)

This is going to be my 2nd trial. My rosemary and sage were bugged for some unknown reason. (Well, as a person who grew up in the city any reason would be unknown to me anyway) I hope this time I achieve my goal. If only I could plant some basil as well however it is such a delicate plant that it hardly grows. Or it is not him, it's me! :)

Here are the ingredients...

Ingredients:
350g water
75g grape molasses
25g fresh yeast
350g whole wheat flour
150g rye flour
50g white flour
15g salt
100g sunflower seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
50g sesame seeds
50g poppy seeds
1 tbsp wheat bran


Preparation:


  • Warm water for 1 minute at 37ºC on Speed 1.
  • Add grape molasses and yeast. Mix for 10 seconds on Speed 4.
  • Add flours and salt. Knead for 3 minutes.
  • Add sunflower, cumin, sesame and poppy seeds. Knead for 40-60 seconds.
  • Transfer it into an oiled bowl, cover with plastic film and let it rise around 1.5-2 hours.
  • Knead for a little while with your hands and give it a round shape.
  • Transfer into baking tray which is previously covered with baking paper, cover with a damp tea towel, let it rise for 1 hour.
  • Sprinkle with wheat bran.

  • Bake in preheated oven at 220ºC for 35 minutes.
  • Let it cool on wire racks.

Enjoy.

I made it again after a short while but this time I shaped it as I do with New York Rye Bread as you see below. I personally like this shape much better. Up to your preference.



2 yorum:

  1. I just love your recipes but as I live in Turkey I am finding it hard to get these special flours etc. I live in the Fethiye region. Also, I cannot work out which one is Caraway Seeds, is it Frenk or Karaman Kimyon? Many thanks for all your hard work. If you ever come across a wonderful Rice Cake recipe, please can you put it up too? I lived with an Italian man and his Mamma made the most extraordinaly Rice Cake with a hint of lemon. It was to die for.

    YanıtlaSil
    Yanıtlar
    1. Hello,
      I haven't been very active in the blog lately and I've just noticed that your message escaped my attention. I am truly sorry for this immense amount of delay. I usually try to reply timely.

      As far as I know Frenk kimyonu and Karaman kimyonu are the same thing. You can use either one of them. Just make sure that you buy as "seeds" and not ground cumin. The result would be different.

      I hope you live a happy life in Fethiye. I went there twice with my husband for holidays. I can't forget about gorgeous Ölüdeniz, our boat trips and Saklıkent.

      As for rice cake ... I'll keep in mind..


      Sil