Following the Fresh Egg Pasta "pasta all'uovo" recipe which I've posted quite recently, fresh pasta recipes keep coming, I can't stop now ;) This has become possible with the help of my mother in law Lucia and father in law Ezio who have spent many years making fresh pasta. I owe them many thanks :)
Tortellini are one of the most popular fresh pasta types for Italians. Sometimes they are called cappelletti (little hats) as well because of the way they are folded.
They are usually stuffed with meat even though I heard a few others stuffed with ricotta, prosciutto and potatoes. I stuffed them with chicken.
FYI, Domenico, my brother in law, is using a stuffing made of pork and beef, mortadella and prosciutto cotto in his pasta fresca shop.
If tortellini are to be stuffed with meat, the meat is always precooked.
Around where I live tortellini are indispensable for those showy and grandiose Italian style Christmas Lunches. Thus, on Christmas Eve and also Christmas morning there is a long queue in front of Domenico's pasta shop and for those who didn't pre-order and book there is always a risk of leaving the shop empty-handed.
Tortellini are usually cooked in broth for Christmas Lunch and called "Tortellini in Brodo". Other times they are also made with tomato sauce, ragu sauce, cream...etc many different sauces.
And here are the ingredients:
Fresh Egg Pasta (to be prepared with 400g flour and 4 eggs, 60g each, due to the given link)
10g celery stalk
1 clove of garlic
20g extra virgin olive oil
450g chicken breast (cleaned off the nerves, cubed)
15g white wine
Zest of 1/4 lemon
120g grated parmesan
(Alternatively you can use this recipe: Meat Stuffing)
- Chop shallot, celery stalk, carrot and garlic for 5 seconds on Speed 5.
- Add oil and cook for 2 minutes at 100ºC on Speed 1.
- Add cubed chicken and cook for 4 minutes at Varoma Temperature on Reverse / Speed 1.
- Add wine and cook for 6-8 minutes at Varoma Temperature on Reverse / Speed 1. Transfer it into another bowl and let it cool.
- Put chicken back into cooled TM Bowl.
- Add salt, pepper, nutmeg, zest of lemon, egg and parmesan. Mix for 30 second on Reverse / Speed 4-5.
- Divide fresh egg pasta into pieces.
- Roll out with a pasta machine or rolling pin, sprinkle with a little flour when needed.
- Cut them with a round cutter. (Alternatively, you can cut them into squares by a knife, if you prefer that)
- Place stuffing in the center.
- Fold them into a half moon shape as in the picture.
- Unite the both ends .
Pay attention not to dry pasta sheets
Don't roll out all together but piece by piece
Cut one pasta sheet into pieces, place the stuffing, fold and line. Continue with the rest of fresh egg pasta and stuffing until finished.
A couple of helpers could surely make your life easier :)
There are several ways of folding while forming tortellini. I will try and show them next time.
Have a nice work..