I made these bauletti when when we had Stefano's colleagues for lunch. I prepared crepes and bechamel the day before. I had some rough knowledge about how to make bauletti however, since it would be the first time and in order to have great results, I asked for some help from my mother in law Lucia who is smiling us from the picture above ;) We prepared cheese mixture and the rest together. And the result? It was a huge success!
40g melted butter (cooled down at room temperature)
4 eggs (each is around 60g)
A pinch of salt
- Blend all ingredients for 30 seconds on Speed 5
- Put crepe mixture in a bowl and let it rest for 30 minutes at room temperature
- Transfer it into the fridge and let it rest for 1 hour
1/2 tsp salt
- Cook altogether for 7 minutes at 90ºC on Speed 4
- Transfer it in a bowl and let it cool down
- Put a little oil in a pan and warm.
- Pour 1/2 - 1 ladle of crepe mixture and quickly move pan around, so that batter spreads evenly, covering the whole surface with a thin layer.
- Cook both sides, set aside and continue with the rest.
- Make sure your crepes are not thick. It is hard to give exact measures at this stage, it depends on several factors such as how big the laddle is, how wide the pan is and also one's hand
- I got 17 crepes with 18cm diameters. You can increase the number of the crepese by making them even thinner than I did. But as I said before don't let them be thicker
- You can prepare crepes and bechamel the day before (I did so)
150g parmesan -roughly chopped
250g 2-3 types of desired cheese -roughly chopped (Edam, Emmental, Gruyère, Caciocavallo, Provolone, Leerdammer, Maasdam, Kasseri, Gorgonzola, Asiago, Gouda.... etc)
500g mozzarella -roughly chopped
2 tbsps bechamel
- Grate parmesan by speeding up from 2 to 9 for 15 seconds and set aside
- Place desired cheese kinds and chop for 5 seconds on Speed 6
- Add mozzarella, 2tbsps bechamel, salt and half of grated parmesan. Mix for 10 seconds on Speed 6
- Check salt. Add if needed
- By the way check salt of bechamel as well. Add salt if needed and mix
- Cover trya with baking paper. Spread a little of bechamel on baking paper
- Divide and place cheese mixture in the center of the crepes
- Fold them in quarters as in the picture, place them in the tray with folded side down
- Spread the remaining bachamel on the crepes and sprinkle with the remaining parmesan
- Bake them in preheated oven at 180ºC for 35-40 minutes
Unfortunately I forgot to photograph them cooked! Since we had them all there were no leftovers. I update this recipe with a nice picture when I make it again ;)