22.07.2010

My First Marzipan Cake




I've wanted to make a marzipan cake since so long but I never had the courage as it seemed like a big deal. When I decided to make a marzipan birthday cake for my husband I finally got the courage and rolled up my sleeves after a looooong research :)

I can't claim it had the perfect looks but it was good enough for me and also so delicious!

Why roller coaster? Because both my husband and I love them and we spent his birthday on roller coasters! :)


Now let's come to the recipe...



MARZİPAN

200g sugar (100+100)
220g bleached almonds
2 egg yolks (mid size)
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp orange flower water
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract (or more up to taste)
Food coloring liquid


  • Grind 100g of sugar to caster sugar for 5 seconds on Speed 10 and set aside
  • Pulverize the rest of 100g of sugar to icing sugar for 1 minute on Speed 10 and set aside
  • Put almonds in TM Bowl and grind for 10 seconds on Speed 10

  • Add cater sugar and 80g of icing sugar to TM Bowl and mix for 10 seconds on Speed 3
  • Add egg yolks, lemon juice, orange flower water, vanilla and almond extracts. Knead for 2 minutes

  • Sprinkle surface with a little of the remaining icing sugar. Check out the texture by kneading. If it is crumbling while rolling add/spray with very little orange flower water. You will have to feel by your hands if it has the right texture but don't worry. It is not as difficult as it sounds. You can add icing sugar to make it harder or orange flower water to make it softer
  • If you will color your marzipan divide it into right size and amount of pieces considering the design that you would like to achieve. I use 3 main colors (Red-Yellow-Blu) I mixed them according to instructions on the pack and I obtained other colors. After coloring my marzipan pieces wrap them tight with plastic film and keep in the fridge to use next day. (wrap pieces due to color)


CACAO SPONGE CAKE (PAN DI SPAGNA)

I prepared the cake by making a few modifications on pan di spagna recipe that I've posted some time back. I made a smaller cake due to the size of cake tin that I wanted to use

3 eggs at room temperature (170g)***
170g flour***
170g sugar***
20g unsweetened cacao powder
40g water
10g baking powder
A pinch of salt

  • Grease tart/cake tin and sprinke with some flour (or simply cover with baking paper)
  • Put eggs, flour, cacao and sugar. Mix for 50 seconds on Speed 5. (After 25seconds passed add water through the hole of TM Lid. After 15 more seconds passed (40th second) add baking powder and salt)
  • Pour mixture into cake tin. Bake in preheated oven at 160°C for 30-40 minutes. Check if it is baked by using a toothpick. (I used a deep cake tin so it took 50 minutes)
  • Turn the oven OFF. Let it cool down in the oven for 10 minutes
  • Take it out of the oven and turn upside down onto a plate. Let it cool down.

    *** Weighing the eggs is important. Weigh of the sugar and the flour must be equal to the weigh of the eggs. I used 170g eggs in total so I used sugar and flour accordingly 

    CACAO CREAM

    500g whole milk
    100g sugar
    2 eggs
    80g flour
    25g unsweetened cacao powder

    • Put all milk, sugar, eggs and flour into TM Bowl and cook for 7 minutes at 90ºC on Speed 4
    • Add cacao and mix for 10 seconds on Speed 4
    • Set aside and let it cool down
    You will have a thick cream with this recipe

    FINISHING STAGE: PREPARING MARZIPAN CAKE

    2-3 banana, sliced
    Milk
    • Divide sponge cake into half
    • Wet both pieces with some milk
    • Spread 3/4 of the cream. place banana slices. Spread the rest of the cream
    • Put it in the fridge
    • Prepare your marzipan models, figures etc
    • Decorate your cake with marzipan
    • Let it rest in the fridge for a few hours

    Afiyet olsun... 

    Useful Sources: UK Thermomix, Forum Thermomix,(Thanks everyone who participated) and Io e il mio Bimby Book

    Hiç yorum yok:

    Yorum Gönder